Dr. Mutter's Marvels( A True Tale of Intrigue and Innovation at the Dawn of Modern Medicine) - ristinO'KeefeAptowicz

A good piece of narrative-driven history that is firmly in the pocket of the namesake of the book.  The guy seemed to be a demi-god in his own right, with his skills as an able and skilled surgeon, and on top of that he was also very kind to those less fortunate and worked extensively, almost exclusively, with those needing early forms of plastic surgery.   I went in caring about the Mutter Museum, but I came out caring about Thomas Dent Mutter.

How historically accurate IS it?  I really don't know.  I feel like it must have some kernels of truth about the man in there - frankly, when it came to learning more about the time period and the medical innovations that seemed to keep time with Mutter's remarkably short life span, I was more entertained when I was learning about the medical world of the time than I was about the fake "rivalry" between Mutter and Mr. Old Fuck-features, the guy who liked to berate women as they had their gynecological visits.  I mean, even if there was a rivalry, it amounted to nothing in the book.

In the end, I came out with a respect for the man who was behind the remarkable museum of medical marvels.

And, look, I went a whole review without cat-calling a hot guy.  Who am I kidding?  If not for the fact that this guy, who reportedly wore his clothing to match whatever carriage he was riding in that day, silk-suit wearing mother-fucker in surgeries who never fathered any children with his wife WASN'T gay anyway, then paint me blue and call me a smurf.

I'll still sexually harass him, waaayy postmortem, though.  Never stopped me from eyeballing Howard Philips Lovecraft.  Or Lord Byron. Or Alexander the Great.

What, what was I talking about?