Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games - Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodríguez
I don't want to come across as cheap or dismissive, but I must be truthful on one fact when I talk about the cost of these things called "comic books" or "graphic novels" - I frankly don't believe that many, of not most, of the stuff is hardly worth around $25 for what amounts, often, to two to three hours of reading that's often pretty meh. Now, I can't help that with $1-3, I can get a book that can be as long as a 1,000 pages + and can be all kinds of good. A lot of the time, even when a piece if graphic literature is good, it's usually right around the length of a short story - or, at best, a novella. I'm not discounting the importance of the art in these kinds of works, but the cold, hard fact is that, with little to the contrary, I like my money to go towards the real meat of a narrative and the story, and at $25 for at most three hours of entertainment, at the rate I read these things, and something just doesn't add up.

With all of that being said, I would like to say that there exists a certain minority of graphic literature that does break the mould in this respect. A large part of the value that you have to include in a purchase like a graphic novel is the re-read-ability, or else you end up with a little over ten dollars an hour for a one-time piece of reading material.

Thankfully, even more so than the first entry in the series, Locke & Key 2 is a wonder of art and storytelling, filled with marvels and ingenious concepts as often as thrilling twists and turns, often veering into the awful and the grotesque - not always physically so, but almost always astonishing.

Dark and often tender in its portrayal of both victim as well as villain, keys play a philosophical as well as a material importance in the story, adding an astonishing amount of depth to an already wonderfully complicated cat-and-mouse tale as well as making almost anything seem plausible in this estate that seems to be just as much a love letter to Lovecraft s well as to Hill's father, Stephen King.