Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft - Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodríguez
The offspring of the perennial favorite of mine, Stephen King, I've also heard that Joe Hill is the true inheritor of the Lovecraft mantle. I've got copies of 20th Century Ghosts and Horns, gathering dust in my library, but I think that this could have been the best introduction to the man and his work that I could have gotten.

At times shocking, brutally honest and thrilling, the medium of the graphic novel suits the story amazingly well. I have sincerely never seen anything quite like this, but I would like to say that I would have absolutely no qualms with following this story with where it seems to be going. The characters are real beings who seem to live and breathe, and are certainly not simply set pieces for which the story to act through.

Hill seems to have the intelligence and the ability of his father, but with a flair all his own and a fundamental understanding of the craft of dialogue and the threadbare exposition used in graphic literature, and the combination is addictive, a great panacea to the dull and oftentimes cliche-riddled offerings that comic books have been of late.

Not to say that the artist, Gabriel Rodriguez, is not a major reason for the apparent wild success that this first entry in the series has gathered. His skills as an artist adds a great level of humanity to the characters and he brings every scene he draws into vivid life, and when paired with the great dialogue and the story, you could begin to imagine yourself immersed in the world the story takes place in - whether it's the lushness of a small grove of trees or the dank, vaguely medieval feel of a cellar.

A true 10/10, in an era of meh.