A Treasury of Victorian Murder Compendium: Including: Jack the Ripper, The Beast of Chicago, Fatal Bullet - Rick Geary
Have you ever wanted to experience what it must have been like to read the lurid news articles published during the era of Jack the Ripper? If you ever wanted to experience the subject matter of murderous sociopaths with the addition of black and white inspired artwork that does great justice to the era that its stories stem from, then you could do worse than pick up this collection.

All in all, even though I have referred to the collection in a manner that it is synonymous with its Jack the Ripper story, I found that the actual story of Jack has to be the closest to bloated and bordering on unnecessary that we get in the collection; unlike the three other stories included, it is told from the perspective of a diary writer who lived in the area at the time. To say that the language of the time really makes the piece at times unreadable is a bit of an understatement, and there is too much going on in the day-to-day revelations on the Jack the Ripper case to keep straight. Looking back, however, it was not without its own merits and it is a nice attempt at trying to add something different to the legend of such an influential serial killer.

The facts all seem to be accurate, the art is disturbing and appropriate for the time period and most of it is just plain fun to read through. My personal favorite story is not that of a mass murderer, but of the incredibly deluded assassin who left President Garfield to the mercy of the rather lacking knowledge of his time's doctors, who tried to un-do what he had done to the great man's body with a single hand gun. Far from being the most boring of the collection, the author draws a compelling comparison to the man who sunk so low and the man who flew up so high that he had attracted the attention of his killer.