The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) - Douglas Adams
A fun and bumpy ride away from the destruction of the Earth and directly into a vortex of the illogical and the amazing, The Hitchhiker's Guide is a very funny read that frequently knocks its readers onto their toes and takes obvious glee in keeping them there. There's not much more to say about the book that has not already been said, but I will try to point out a few things that I experienced myself as I read it.

The plot twists were truly my favorite parts of the book - the introduction of new ideas, characters or situations are the fertile ground in which Adams stretched his truly awe-inspiring imagination. With that giant boon to the story comes a caveat, however, as sometimes the work suffers from quick stagnation, whenever the plot twists don't stop hurtling by fast enough.

I would say that each plot twist has the expiration length of an apple left out in a container filled with gnats, and if you wanted to take a bite, then I personally would not think any lesser of you if you hurry the process of digestion along a little, if only to save your apple from being fully devoured by hungry insects-

Wait, what was I talking about again? Yes, the best way to experience this book is with a little bit of haste in mind - run through it at breakneck speed, as it leaves you in the best mindset to enjoy reading it. The faster you can get through the handful of scenes that seem to go on for far too long, the better for your experience in the long run.

Adams is still a very funny man, and remarkably little of the humor has aged beyond recognition and, I can imagine, it is still as funny as when it was first released. The cousins Ford and Zaphod are the best parts of comedy in the book, but everyone seems to add their own two cents, in terms of comedy.

Unlike some other books that I have read, Adams does seem to have a gift for effectively using dialogue and usually pretty unobtrusive narration to allow his readers to truly understand his characters. You really do come away from this book with a great understanding of just who is who and what they are like - which is more than I could say for a great many pieces of fiction that have a large cast and a plodding plot.

Indeed, this book does like to scurry a lot, with very little fat and a lot of good lean. Putting alongside that collection of facts another - that the "crew" of the Heart of Gold are well-written and a blast to read - and you get a lot of reasons why you should give the three collective hours of your time it should take you to read this book.

I wish that I could end it here and give this book a proper, while not perfect five, perhaps closer to a four point five, but when you muzzle that part of you that wants to hail Adams as your only God and berate you for even hinting that his work is not utter perfection, you get that awkward feeling that in quite a few moments in the book you should have been laughing a good deal more, or at the very least, chuckling to yourself. Oh, not that there weren't a great number of truly laugh out loud moments, but a lot of the "laughs" that Adams had orchestrated fell, awkwardly, flat. A good deal of the humor conveyed through dialogue and a few entries of the actual Hitchhiker's Guide just weren't funny when they were meant to be. Y'know, it cannot help but hurt me when I admit that some of Douglas Adams' humor doesn't effect me, but you should never be afraid to call a spade a spade, and while I would say that the journey and a good percentage of the jokes make the book worth reading, it sometimes works much better, for me, as a work of science fiction than it does as a comedy.

I would say that a book with a better equal balancing of comedy and plot would be [b:John Dies at the End|6364718|John Dies at the End (John Dies at the End, #1)|David Wong|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1317064454s/6364718.jpg|1858059], but when you take into consideration the fact that this book has aged quite a great deal (as we all know, fiction has the lifespan of an animal and basically ages like a dog), this old man can still hold quite a few surprises, even when it is a book whose plot is one of the most readily spoiled in the recent history of literature.

My recommendation - borrow this one from the library, but make a little haste on it. I believe that you won't be let down if you take the chance of reading it, and I'll have to wait to see if the rest of the books in this "trilogy" are just as worthy of my time as this one, if not moreso.