Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 1 - John Layman, Rob Guillory
Five minutes after I put a mini pizza into the oven, I suddenly remember that I have to leave a review for Chew. And then I think about the pizza I have, heating up in the oven.

They say that nearly every piece of food that a person eats must have a set allowance of insect parts that it cannot exceed in order to be sold to consumers. How many cricket parts went into the dough on my little mini deep dish cheese Aldi's pizza? Just how many little feelers and legs have crossed over the tomatoes that made it into the sauce and tomato pieces?

Could I finish more than a bite of my pizza if I could feel every pesticide that went into the tomatoes, the wheat or the probably sad life of the cow whose milk contributed to the mozzarella cheese? It would be as though with every flavor I experienced I would also get full versions of the more gruesome videos that PETA have made.

Suddenly all animal products sound as though they would be a lot less appetizing when you have to meet your meat every time you nibble on the more nom-y-er parts of their bodies.

This is a reality for special people who share the curse/skill of Tony Chu, the main character of the insane, hard-boiled Chew comic books. A fun, wild premise gets taken to the furthest stretches of what it is capable of right off the bat and then careens into goofy improbability without slowing down a beat.

It's a flavor that may not be for everyone, but if you can see beyond one goofy improbability after another (all well drawn, I would like to note) to enjoy the kinetic energy of the whole thing, then you may want to consider acquiring this book. The conspiracies and actions of the characters in the comic are equally unlikely and sometimes borderline Wonderland in what is established as logical - but beyond that problem lies an awful lot of real fun. The only real problem I can say that I have with the comic is that Tony Chu can be really too much of an annoying pushover, and I have a hard time trying to figure out why, exactly, he is as straight laced as he is. No real reason is ever given for why Tony is as insufferably strict with the rules as he is, aside from what are just part of his personality. This problem really bothers me and really cuts down on the addictive factor of the comic.

At the very least, this book is certain to elicit stares from strangers while you're reading it.