The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born - Richard Isanove, Jae Lee, Robin Furth, Peter David, Stephen King
My second and last attempt at trying to enjoy The Dark Tower series has been a frustrating read that has lasted three tiring and frustrating months.

Maybe I just don't "get" it, like how I don't "get" [b:The Stand|149267|The Stand|Stephen King|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1213131305s/149267.jpg|1742269], but I can personally say that, for a variety of reasons, I really just did not like this graphic novel - three months of trying time and again, to restart it back up from where I left off and stumbling over a multitude of plot threads time and again.

After the frankly amazing beginning - up until the boys leave their hometown - we hit the first problem with there being far too many characters, the expository narration is too often used and sort of just ruins any proper pacing that it may have had. Too much is happening, and the panels practically implode with dialogue. I began to skim the gist of each panel in complete frustration before I began to skip entire action scenes. Someone gets shot in the face amidst a mountain of exposition, dear lord.

The only possible reason to check out this (the only reason, past the beginning) is to examine the artwork - which did seem to be inspired, imaginative as well as a true reflection on the American Western influence on King's work. What a goddamned pity the artwork had to be pared with that passes as the writing in this piece.