I Was Told There'd Be Cake - Sloane Crosley
Good Essays -

The Pony Problem - By far my favorite essay in the collection. Weird and wildly hilarious, it reads almost like a comedian's notes for a set. I will forever remember the drawer full of ponies, and the eventual loss of them.

The Ursula Cookie - My second favorite essay in the collection. Crosley brings the best in awkward humor in this piece. A boss from hell, one that I think I actually dealt with in my last term of college. Yeah; what a bitch.

Bring-Your-Machete-to-Work Day - "Oregon Trail" and social awkwardness, it's as though she's lived in my shoes.

The Good People of This Dimension - Just like The Pony Problem, this piece reads like a comedian's notes.

Fuck You, Columbus - Dry and hilarious, a series of making the same mistake over and over again, so that each time it happens it gets more hilarious each time. Simple and effective.

Sign Language for Infidels - Hilarious, strengthened, I think, by the fact that there was little inclusion of the author's childhood, as were in some of the worser essays in the collection. Who knew butterflies could be such a morbid subject?

You On a Stick - Crosley doesn't disappoint with this piece, which highlights the issue of old friends coming back into life, and the consequences thereof. Taught me that however mean it may seem at first, it's just best to cut 'em loose in the end.

The Height of Luxury - By far the best of Crosley's essays on moments in her childhood, strengthened by its short length. In the end, it actually has a sweetness to it, along with some bitterness.

Smell This - You know this is gonna be a good read, when it opens with a quote from "This is Spinal Tap" and ends up being about poop. Priceless.

Bad Essays -

Christmas in July - This disappointing piece fails to hit the mark, failing where the best essays did well. Aside from her musings about her polar opposite (a blond Christian girl), it just doesn't hit the mark and drags on for far too long.

Bastard Out of Westchester - Dull, unremarkable, and by far unforgettable. A long diatribe on names and accents that went nowhere and I should have just skipped through. Disappointing.

The Beauty of Strangers - Boring and therefore not worth reading, nor discussing in depth.

One Night Bounce - Perhaps a bit too true to life, with the dull bits, unfortunately, left in it.

Lay Like Broccoli - Was not really funny, as long as you do not count listening to a vegetarian friend drone on about their choice in food to be the height of comedy. Really, just skip this one.

Fever Faker - Not bad, just meh, and therefore not worth the time to read it.