Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick, Robert Zelazny
Beautiful, dark, symbolic, shocking, philosophical - this piece embodies all of those words and more. It was almost impossible to put this book down, and I ended up finishing it in at a faster rate than I usually manage. None of the writing felt unduly drudging, and with the truthful exception of a few paragraphs sprinkled throughout, I got the feeling that the work could possibly do with a gentle re-write to stream-line the narration and the story's progression, but no other unnecessary polishing. But don't let that scare you away!

I ended up being unable to keep some of the ideas presented in the book from out of my conversations with my fiance. I was really surprised to find how un-like the work really was from what can be supposed to be its movie version, "Blade Runner". If it makes any sense, the book and the movie seem to be un-indenticle twins - one is more of a very lonely, secluded, paranoid, musing type, and the other is bursting with color and movement, an homage more to the ideals of science fiction than to Dick's own image of the future Earth. I do love both, and I can safely say that these two works - the book and the loosely based-upon movie - are truly un-like and at the same time, very like the other. And I love both.

I now understand why people always speak highly of "the writing machine" - A.K.A, Philip K. Dick, A.K.A, the man who single-handedly gave us some of the best material for future movies and who engineered some of the best known concepts in Science Fiction. His writing is brooding, unapologetic, and almost dream-like (nightmare-like?) in the smooth delivery of it. Although he gives little pity for his characters, you cannot help but feel for them at the end of it all. Even the non-human ones, who actually seem to far out-number the organic ones in the course of the story.

Don't plan on reading it in bits and pieces - you'll find that your other plans may very well fall by the wayside, as you worry about what will happen next, forever skirting through the pages 'till the very end.