The Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations - Gil Fronsdal

Death sweeps away - The person obsessed - With gathering flowers,  - As a great flood sweeps away a sleeping village.

Well, what do you expect me to say - this is one of those things you take on or you see it as one big pile of bizarre and endlessly repeating stream of religious propaganda.  Take a guess which club I'm in.

The book is a stream of fortune cookie quips that beg to be taken as super serious as can be.   Frankly,  it all sounds a lot as though it needs to be solemnly read aloud,  amidst a fog of crazy incense and each little paragraph of head-scratching advice is begging to be followed by someone hitting a gong.

Y'know,  I've never been good at this whole "religious" thing,  I freely admit,  but taking this Buddhism class has really done wonders for just completely turning me off of the main tenets of the religion.  It seems like an enormously either self-righteous or horribly cynical view of everything in existence,  and does that bullshit that other religions do with hissing at the sight of pleasure gained by anything outside of this religious fulfillment that its worldview offers.   Blah blah blah how dare you enjoy physical self worth,  you're not worthy enough to experience Nirvana and the Earth is a shitty torture that needs to be dealt with, nothing more,  nothing less.

This really was not the best text from the religion to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the supposedly innocuous religion.   A constricting work that endlessly hammers in the same point over and over.